Re: (ASCEND) more phone lines than modems...

On Thu, 19 Mar 1998, Glenn Howard wrote:

> We have a Max4000 with 60 modems and now 64 phone lines.  We have two
> different phone numbers for our modem pool.  Is it possible to set up
> the max so that if an analog customer dials up, and there is free lines,
> but no free modems that they get a busy signal?  How does the max handle

The way I understand it, that is the way it happens already.  But how did
you get 64 phone lines on your Max?

> Our telco offered to set up the phone lines at their end to handle it,
> but it's a substantial "service" charge and anytime we get more lines,

I am curious as to how they do this as the phone switch has no idea which
modems in your Max are free at any given moment.  Unless they want to just
restrict the total number of calls you can receive on the Max entirely.

"Yes, you get to pay us for having the service, and you get to pay us
again for taking part of it away."