Re: (ASCEND) more phone lines than modems...

On 19 Mar 98 at 16:00, Glenn Howard wrote:

> We have a Max4000 with 60 modems and now 64 phone lines.  We have
> two different phone numbers for our modem pool.  Is it possible to
> set up the max so that if an analog customer dials up, and there is
> free lines, but no free modems that they get a busy signal?  How
> does the max handle it?  Will the phone seem to just not answer at
> our end?  Can I do something with the trunk groups?

It will do this already, it's default behaviour on PRI lines.

If I disable the slots with modem packs in on my 6.0.0 test box, and
then dial in on analog, the call will be refused, because the Max
has no analog resources left to answer the call.

If I re-enable the slot, then it rings in and is answered by a modem.

The Max reads the call setup info on the D channel, sees "analog" and
says "No Thanks". It shoudn't need any fancy settings at your telco.

--
Mike Hughes - Network Services         mike@dircon.net
0181 297 0300 x236              http://www.dircon.net/