Re: (ASCEND) In Defense Of Ascend...

throwaway-id@technologist.com wrote:

>         Come on, people!  Ascend deserves to be beaten about the
>         head with a 2x4 on a number of issues (and the members of
>         this list do a good job of it), but the issue of this
>         specific security vulnerability does NOT seem to be
>         one of them.

<snip>

I agree that the snmp issue is one of education and not
a bug.  End of that story.

As far as the "port 9" problem, I strongly disagree with
you.  I do not believe that Ascend understands that
distributing poorly designed software is unacceptable.
I do not believe that an engineer worth their salt would
have proposed such a design.  It speaks volumes (and I
am appalled) that such a design was accepted by management,
was implemented, and distributed.

Ascend,

I do not run Microsoft products, so I am unaccustomed
to having problems of this type.  I expect you to produce
well designed and tested commercial quality software and
hardware.  Security through obscurity is unacceptable and
is evidence of an unqualified engineering team (or maybe
unrealistic management).

I am further incensed by the fact that you compromised the
security of my Ascend HW in a effort to support a product
that was only able to be run on Microsoft based systems
(an insecure, non-commercial quality OS) - and you didn't
tell anybody you did this.

While there are many more issues that should be addressed,
I tire of this...

Robert