Re: (ASCEND) ISDN w/o PRI?

On Mon, 16 Mar 1998, kevin wrote:

> In order to handle ISDN calls you need PRI's.  You need something that
> has B-channels to accept the incoming ISDN calls.  A T1 simply won't
> do.

The way I understand it you can (only in the US) provision a CT1 to accept
data calls.  But you only get 56K per channel throughput instead of the
usual 64K, and you must provision each channel at the telco specifically
to accept either voice or data calls, unlike PRI where the channels are
more flexible.  You must also set up a different phone number for voice
calls vs. data calls.  Finally, of course, the CT1 would have to be a
trunk-side T1.

And I don't guarantee this information since I never really saw it in use.
It's only a collection of things I've 'heard'.

My advice to you is to get PRI's, or, if you don't plan to have a lot of
ISDN calls, get some BRI's and a bunch of Pipes or a Max-1800.