Re: (ASCEND) Ascend Router SNMP Security Issues [Q]

On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, Jennifer Dawn Myers wrote:

>    "What does this mean to you?
> 	RMAs because of lost passwords are expensive and troublesome
> 	for Ascend and our customers. If the router's administrator

They should just put a switch on the unit that resets the passwords to the
default, then.  Or at the least, the functionality should be restricted to
the console port.

This facility will only work if the user has left his SNMP strings at the
default, which no security-conscious user will do.  If you leave your SNMP
strings at the default, you may as well leave your access levels without
passwords too and eliminate the issue altogether.

It's kind of nice to be able to get the passwords out of the unit in
cleartext (for example, moving users from password profiles to RADIUS) but
I'd just as soon be able to just see them if I am logged in with "full
access".