Re: (ASCEND) Ascend Router SNMP Security Issues [Q]

On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, Kit Knox wrote:

> Well there is another workaround for this which I use all of the time.
> You can open up the Pipeline, insert a jumper, connect at 57600 and clear
> the flash then upload via xmodem new code into the box.  It is as good as
> new.  Perhaps Ascend should make the details of this more public instead.

The excuse I got was "It voids the warranty on the unit it's performed
on," though I was told how to do so by an Ascend tech over the phone when
I was in a spot a few years ago.  He made me swear not to tell anyone it.

> Why doesn't Ascend just do like other hardware vendors.  Have a hardware

You could apply that phrase to so many aspects of Ascend.  I think they've
gone out of their way to not be like other hardware vendors, and in doing
so they've alienated themselves from the better aspects of those
companies.  Most notable of all would be reliability, though that has
improved.

> switch, which when toggled enables a challenge response system on the
> system console only which may be used to reset the password after a call
> to Ascend.

It'd still take you 5 hours for a callback, service contract or no service
contract. :)

> -Kit

Joe Shaw - jshaw@insync.net
NetAdmin - Insync Internet Services