Re: (ASCEND) Ascend Router SNMP Security Issues [Q]

On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, Jennifer Dawn Myers wrote:

| Ascend's reason for enabling SNMP by default, with default community
| strings, appears in <http://www.ascend.com/2492.html>:
|
|    "What does this mean to you?
| 	RMAs because of lost passwords are expensive and troublesome
| 	for Ascend and our customers. If the router's administrator
| 	has left the READ COMM string to the default of "public," or
| 	has not disabled the R/W COMM, there is a way to retrieve the
| 	Access Passwords with the Java Based Configurator."

Well there is another workaround for this which I use all of the time.
You can open up the Pipeline, insert a jumper, connect at 57600 and clear
the flash then upload via xmodem new code into the box.  It is as good as
new.  Perhaps Ascend should make the details of this more public instead.

Why doesn't Ascend just do like other hardware vendors.  Have a hardware
switch, which when toggled enables a challenge response system on the
system console only which may be used to reset the password after a call
to Ascend.

-Kit