Re: (ASCEND) v.90? When?

On Sat, 14 Mar 1998, Bill Garfield wrote:

> If your situation is really as you describe, it sounds like you have a
> captive audience. Either they get Internet access from you or they don't
> get any at all.  If that truly is your situation (lucky you) and I'd be

It's not quite like that, but it's close.  Due to a geographical quirk I
am in a place where I can serve the metro area AND some of the rural towns
nearby who would ordinarily be a long distance call away.

> first or second pass.  But if you are a rural provider, there's also a
> fair chance that not many of your customers will be able to achieve the
> new protocol speeds.

Yeah, I'm aware of that.  So the point might be moot altogether :)

Nevertheless, I am not concerned with the reliability of the V.90.  It is
better to have flaky V.90 than no V.90 at all.  Customers that want
stability can keep their existing KFlex and X2 (which would work as V34)
and as long as the "fallback" systems remain reliable, those who upgrade
to V.90 do so at their own risk.

In any case, those Max owners who do not want V.90 would have the option
of simply not upgrading to it.  Maybe V.90 support could be a configurable
option, eliminating the need to fool around with getting the right 'code
version'? I don't know if this is feasible to do. But it would be nice :)