(ASCEND) TNT upgrade problems (version 2.0)

I have two TNTs which were upgraded this morning to version 2.0.  A process which normally takes 20 minutes took about 4 hours.

It actually started off pretty good until I got to the part of the instructions where Ascend said to format the flash card then load the tar file from the TFTP server.  The flash card formatted fine but the box went dead after the reboot.

Actually the shelf controllers were functioning but my LAN connections were configured using ethernet cards... not the ethernet port on the shelf controller.  I didn't think to reconfigure the shelf controller and, instead, used the console port at 9.6kbps to load the tar file.  This took 2 hours and failed in the final second of the transfer.  Finally after reconfiguring the shelf controller, I used TFTP to complete the task.

The moral of the story is this... if you are going to upgrade to 2.0 on a TNT and plan to use a TFTP server to accomplish it, make sure you are using an ethernet connection via the shelf controller.  This is not mentioned anywhere in the release notes and has caused more than one TAC trouble call.

People like me who follow the release notes verbatim are at the mercy of Ascend staff who should make their instructions not only accurate but complete as well.

Mitch