(ASCEND) PPP fails?

Can anyone tell me why ppp fails from my terminal-server prompt?
Authentication is finished, ppp is enabled. I don't know else what to
add.

MAX4000 with a 16 Modem k56 card. 50Ap42, tk.bin loaded.
Modem working OK since I connect and authenticate Ok.
Same problem from Win95 client and from a Mac.
HELP!

Rob

 > pppif
PPPIF debug is ON
 > PPPIF: open: routeid 52, incoming YES
PPPIF-36: ASYNC mode
PPPIF-36: vj comp on
PPPIF-36: _initAuthentication
PPPIF-36: no auth
PPPIF-36: Link Is up.
PPPIF-36: pppMpNegUntimeout last 0 layer 0
PPPIF-36: pppMpNegUntimeout last 0 layer 0
PPPIF-36: LCP Opened, local 'tester', remote ''
PPPIF-36: _openAuthentication
PPPIF-36: pppMpNegUntimeout last 0 layer 1
PPPIF-36: Auth Opened
PPPIF-36: Remote hostName is ''
PPPIF-36: opening CCP
PPPIF-36: pppMpSendNeg Pkt
PPPIF-36: pppMpNegTimeout layer 6
PPPIF-36: opening BNCP
PPPIF-36: pppMpSendNeg Pkt
PPPIF-36: pppMpNegTimeout layer 5
PPPIF-36: CCP closed
PPPIF-36: BNCP closed: Close OK
PPPIF-36: Administrative CLOSE of LAYER_AUTH : Close OK
PPPIF-36: LCP closed: Close OK