(ASCEND) [Q] Slow dialup authentication on MAX 4048

I am chasing down what I hope to be a minor configuration error on my part.
When dialing into my MAX(en) 4048 to establish a PPP connection (from Win95
DUN), the authentication process seems unusually slow (20 - 30 seconds to
authenticate). In addition, I notice that modem transfers a large amount of
data - typically receiving upwards of 30 - 35 k from the MAX before
establishing a PPP link.

I have tried this using connection profiles and external radius servers so
I am confident that this is not a Radius issue.

A related issue - if my modem receives approx. 38 k from the MAX in the
authentication process, I am disconnected and have to reboot my PC in order
to user DUN effectively after that point.

We are currently running 5.0Ap42 on the MAX.  Is this a simple
configuration issue that I have overlooked?

Thanks,
Tracy Hinshaw, DWX