Re: (ASCEND) avoid MP Sessions on MAX4000 ? how ?

Hi,

On Sun, Mar 08, 1998 at 11:14:43PM +0100, Winfried Haug wrote:
> i have multiple connection profiles on my max4000. Somne of them should have
> the possibility to use MP while others should only be allowed to have one
> link.
> Even after Setting the encaps to PPP the other peer can request MP and the
> MAX makes a MP Session.
> If a set in the Ethernet/Encaps options MP=no then NO Connection can use
> MP even if it is in the specific profile..
> What is the best way to restrict a specific Session to ONE PPP Session!

As to my knowledge, there is no way. MP is negotiated before Auth is
done, so there is no way to negotiate MP in a general profile-specific
way. It may be possible with CLID but is not used this way (would also
be inconsistent when PPP meant PPP-only with CLID but not with PPP auth).

IMHO there would still be an easy solution to the problem: For profiles
restricted to one channel, even if MP or MPP was negotiated, never
allow a second channel to be added. Dunno whether that may even work
already when setting Max Channel Count to 1 in the profile, but I don't
expect (these are only for DBA control). However, the solution has the
bad taste of closing calls that exceed the limits, costing the user some
bucks. This is generally bad, the worst solution would be to drop a call
after Auth when it became clear that the call used MP but should have
used PPP actually. A number of client side implementations always use
MP if available by the NAS, so this is no solution at all. You may just
diable MP negotiations altogether or live with it. Charge users based
on actual usage and you can live with it very comfortable ;)

--

Kanther-Line: PGP SSH IDEA MD5 GOST RIPE-MD160 3DES RSA FEAL32 RC4

| o |               \\\- Brain Inside -///                   | o |
| o | Andre' Beck (ABPSoft) beck@ibh-dd.de XLink PoP Dresden | o |