Re: (ASCEND) Problems with Ascend Radius DBM on Linux 4.2

On Thu, Mar 05, 1998 at 03:58:20PM -0600, Keith Simmons wrote:
> I'm having some difficulty switching to the DBM version of Ascend
> radius. The two Radius servers I am trying to switch to DBM mode are a
> 4.2 Redhat Linux and a 5.0 Redhat Linux systems. I have changed the the
> Makefile for the Radius version 1.16 and the non DBM version compiles
> and runs great. However on the DBM version it complains of the

You better avoid original plain DBM on Linux.

> nonexistence of the "dbm.h" header file. I have acquired dbm.h file from
> another server and placed it in the include directory. Alternatively I
> have changed the include statement to use "gdbm.h" . Both methods fail
> with the following error:
> gcc              -O -Dsys5 -DNOSHADOW -DBINARY_FILTERS -DASCEND_SECRET
> -DASCEND_LOGOUT  -lgdbm -DDBM_MODE -o usersdbm.o -c ./users.c
> ./users.c: In function `fetch':
> ./users.c:214: warning: assignment discards `const' from pointer target
> type
> ./users.c:216: incompatible type for argument 1 of `fetch'
> ./users.c:216: too few arguments to function `fetch'
> ./users.c:216: incompatible types in assignment
> ./users.c:225: incompatible type for argument 1 of `fetch'
> ./users.c:225: too few arguments to function `fetch'
> ./users.c:225: incompatible types in assignment
> make: *** [usersdbm.o] Error 1
>
> I know I must be missing something simple, but after reading through the
> FAQ and canvassing the Internet for the past 2 days I have yet to find
> any solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The original DBM version of Ascend radiusd has enormous problems on
Linux due to insufficient locking capabilities of old DBM. Please do not
waste your time trying to compile it, it will not run correctly (short
spoken, every query that radiusd wants to answer while another query is
currently processed fails because DBM cannot open a database readonly
and neither can it open one two times readwrite, that's a DBM flaw). You
will just get tons of misleading "users file missing" error messages and
inconsistent results.

There are both native GDBM and Berkeley DB patches available for Ascend
radiusd which work great and flawless. Scan the archive of this list
back some months, they have been announced here.

BTW, the archives are in the WWW so Altavista can be used as a full
text search engine. Try "+ascend-users +db +patch" for an example.
However this index seems incomplete :(

--

Kanther-Line: PGP SSH IDEA MD5 GOST RIPE-MD160 3DES RSA FEAL32 RC4

| o |               \\\- Brain Inside -///                   | o |
| o | Andre' Beck (ABPSoft) beck@ibh-dd.de XLink PoP Dresden | o |