(ASCEND) Pipeline 130 and Packet Loss

Hello,

We have two Pipeline 130's connected via a fractional T1, currently
operating at 128K.  Everything seems to be working okay except that we get
substantial packet loss as usage increases.  For example, if we have 30
users connected at one end, things seem okay.  If 4 or 5 more users
connect, our packet loss goes up to 12% or so from 2%.  Our ping times
stay good while this is happening (160ms average) which is fine for our
needs.

Here's what we've tried so far:

- Changed MRU on each end from 1524 to 1500 - worked great.  Brought our
packet loss down from 30% to 11% for the same number of users and brought
our ping times down from 3000ms to 160ms.

- Changed the channel speed from 64K to 56K.  This seemed to improve the
packet loss situation a bit, but didn't affect the ping times either way.

- We are using Stac and VJ compression.  (I'm not sure if these help or
not... haven't tried turning them off for fear things would get worse
since the line is in use as I type).

Any experiences, or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Steve Clarke
AracNet