Re: (ASCEND) General Ascend 6.0.0 release questions

> Does the first version of 6.0.0 support K56Flex connections?

Yes.

> If so, what is the filename for the MAX 40XX..?

Try doing a "dir *.m40" to see all the loads for the MAX 40XX routers.
To see all the K56 modem loads for the MAX 40XX routers try "dir *k.m40".
I see quite a few.  For many people in the US, this means "rtbk.m40/ftbk.m40".

Read the Release Notes.  They will explain the difference between "restricted"
("r") and extended ("f") software loads.

  ftp://ftp.ascend.com/pub/Software-Releases/Max/Release-6.0/doc/max60rn.pdf

You will want to start on Page 13.

> How do you know what load to use.... fat or thin?

I think we have already been through this on the mailing list.

You don't choose the format of the load (standard/thin/fat/extended).

You have a piece of hardware (MAX4000, MAX1800, etc) with certain hardware
options (T1/E1, Mod-12/56K modems, etc) and you choose the software version
that you will use (5.0Ap42, 6.0.0, etc.) and software options (Appletalk,
X.25, etc).

This will decide what software load you want.  You don't have a choice in
format, there is only one format for each feature-set/version created.

> How do you tell what your current's load file size is?

You go to the directory where you picked up your current software and
you do a "dir filename" (where filename is the name of the software)
to display the sizes of the software.

> Or, do you just use the thin load (to be safe)?

You use the load that supports the options you desire.  You have no choice
over whether it is "thin" or "fat" or "restricted/extended".