I don't know if there are books on this, but I presume your "QM" means
Quantum Mechanics. If so, please recall we discussed the "Center for
Quantum Molecular Design" at Stanford University and how it might
pertain to process chemistry of "biomass." You referred to some U of M
prof doing similar.

Now, Michael Moore has a free movie, "Planet of the Humans" on you tube.
Apparently, money is chasing biomass looking for a process technology.
My guess is the money already knows the winning ticket in the "renewable
energy" game. "Solar Biofuel."

I'm way too old to read this stuff. Just working like a man 40 years
younger. Maybe apply your skills to a very different line of work??