gregrwm <tclug1 at whitleymott.net> writes:
> [BestBuy] replaced the motherboard and installed windows 10.  how
> thoughtful.

Other than taking it to Kroll Ontrack, I'm not sure you'll find
much. It all depends upon the state of the drive prior and following
re-installation. How large was it? What has he done with it since? Did
they "defrag" the disk after re-installation, etc.?

https://www.ontrack.com/services/data-recovery/eden-prairie/

Consider that windows dynamically allocates swap from available free
space on the drive, you might only find random crap rather than
meaningful data. I honestly believe it's a lost cause, and that the
money that you might spend with Ontrack would be thrown away with few if
any results.

Hopefully, your friend made good backups.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>
Blog: https://runswithd6s.gitlab.io/