thank you for the replies.  surprise, his linux partitions are still
there.  but we're not out of the woods yet.  tried chroot and grub-install,
got "error: /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc/modinfo.sh doesn't exist."  then downloaded
boot-repair-disk and added it to my thumb drive of handy iso's.  it quickly
identified a sensible repair, but failed to perform it, saying "The current
session is in Legacy mode. Please reboot the computer, and use this
software in an EFI session. This will activate the function. For example,
use a live-USB of Boot-Repair-Disk-64bit, after making sure your BIOS is
set up to boot USB in EFI mode."

so i'm guessing that means my friend's disc was setup as an EFI boot,
meanwhile my handy thumb drive didn't boot in EFI mode, either for the live
ubuntu i used to chroot and try grub-install, nor for the boot-repair-disk
iso, and i'm guessing the bios in it's unquestionable wisdom is entirely
inflexible, like if it's booted one way, it can't perform any operation on
the other format, regardless that they are two separate discs, and grub, in
it's unquestionable wisdom, uses the bios instead of direct i/o.  have i
got that about right?  if so i guess i need to get another thumb drive for
booting in EFI mode?  or is there a way to tell grub to switch modes after
grub boots up and before booting the iso?