May I suggest some interest in the XScreensaver unit called "Molecule."
On my openSuse this has been a favorite for years. According to some
documentation it reads PDB (protein data bank) files. There are other
PDB viewers, also the IBM open data explorer. 40 years ago I would have
gobbled this up, and I'm sure Iznogoud at the U of M encountered this
molecular graphics stuff.

40 years ago I made a program to describe the "electro-optic
coefficient" of some peptide structures. This is similar to liquid
crystal display use today. But it has gone very much further, and it
would take me another 40 years to learn it again. The modern Linux
desktop PC is unbelievable to old scientists.

Molecular carbon polymers are a big deal. The worst part is plastic is
destroying the Pacific Ocean environment because nobody has a use for
it. I suspect it is actually capping evaporation so California doesn't
get more rain.

But a big use for waste plastic might be in roofing for billions of
people. By incorporating fiberglass (fiber optics) it is conceivable to
suck the light off the roof and into a fiber cable, thus both free air
conditioning and concentrated solar energy in a cable. What is great
about these PDB viewers is they display the huge size and some
electrical properties of biomolecules. The infrared, visible, UV,
fluorescent, scattering optics of these molecules was a big science in
my day before we could draw them. I'm sure somebody is connecting optics
to structure.

For many reasons, it seems crazy to expect billions of people to install
tempered glass roofs covering complex rare earth semi-conductors in hope
to get useful electricity. Innovative polymer chemistry, material
science, and environmental solutions on a linux desktop would have been
fun for me 40 years ago.