> I think you misunderstood what I was trying to do.
> I was trying to set up a multi-boot system, not only on one hard
> drive, (which I've done a few times in the past) but the options being
> two versions of the same os.

Oh, I understood alright. What you did not understand is what several of us told
you, i.e. to learn a little bit of GRUB/GRUB2 and the booting sequence of the
Linux kernel. But you found that it was either too intricate or too much work.

I boot two different distributions with entirely different kernels, Windows 10,
and some other junk, by having "duct-taped together" the grub.conf. So I am
pretty sure that I understood what you wanted to do and I know it is possible
with minimal effort.

I know I am being of no help again, but perhaps it is time for you to start
reading HOWTOs and other online documents again. Like Euclid told Ptolemy:
"There is no `royal road' to geometry." You are better off learning the things
you do not now. I hope this helps.

I hope this message does not carry a condescending tone.