I think a life of learning is a life worth living; you are doing this right.
Never too late to learn,... anything.

I am a C-shell person, but not because I program anything for the shell.
Deep inside, I wish I had spent more time programming the various shells
early on. But given I do not find this lack of knowledge a hindrance, I
have no incentive to learn it... In that regard, the OS this list is about
appears to be versatile enough to accommodate a person like me.

I never thought of unix CLI tools as having "object orientation" as a part
of their use; maybe that is where your books tell a tale I do not know.