I don't know how to package this commentary, and I'm sure many know this
stuff, but I'm a little shocked to be reminded how ignorant of Unix and
Linux I am.

First, I get insulted a lot. Worth remembering was a young climate
scientist from Berkeley who declared the language TCL was too old and he
wouldn't waste time on it. Now I learn the current TCL release manager
is Don Porter of the National Institute of Standards and Technology
(NIST). Same group Don Libes worked at when creating the TCL extension
"Expect" in the early 1990s.

Expect is very worth learning so I've been playing with it to launch the
current C Shell (tcsh), leading to reading a 1994 C Shell book by David
Ennis.

That C Shell book is an eye opener. The foundation of the Unix user
interface is "Commands" which are in fact "process Objects." All the
object terms like "encapsulation, polymorphism, inheritance, public,
private, scope, methods, constructor," etc. are evident in old Unix
tools. Plus subshells and jobs, etc. This creates a lot of room for us
brain space limited programmers to make simple tools instead of mega
byte monsters. Compare that multi-dimensional (multi-tasking is far too
understated) Unix to MSDOS of the time.

I know bash is glorious, and the Z shell more so. But with a super
computer or two sitting on my desk, and linux only the cost of trying
it, I need to program for simplicity and reliability again.

Automation and artificial intelligence will not likely be buried in
proprietary secrets and confusion.