No, I'm working with some serious ignorance here. So the smallest thing
is profound enlightenment.

For example, it is well known that "background processes" can't use the
terminal interface. But try start several xterm& (background xterms) and
you will still get several fully functional xterm windows. I knew the
window manager can all start from a single xterm and "spawn" an eyefull.
Try this a couple of times from a single terminal and consider all the
inherited environment and file descriptors -->>

 > xterm&; xterm&; xterm&;

And all the command line arguments certainly provide different
functionality to the hidden protected command object. When a half baked
programmer like me can't figure out what he programs, how can the user??
At least I can keep it small and simple.