> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2018 13:55:36 -0600
> From: Brian Wood <woodbrian77 at gmail.com>
> To: tclug-list <tclug-list at mn-linux.org>
> Subject: [tclug-list] GhostBSD and TrueOS
>
> Previously, I came across GhostBSD after having some
> problems with TrueOS.  At the time, I figured GhostBSD was
> from some totally different group, but now I've learned that
> it seems to be coming from about the same people as
> TrueOS.  There's a new version of GhostBSD that they
> made available just a few days ago --
> http://ghostbsd.org/news

GhostBSD is a totally different group.
The devs behind GhostBSD just decided to change their base to Trueos.

Truos was originally spawned from PC-BSD and was an out of the box
preconfigured graphical solution based on FreeBSD-current.
Then iXsystems- the company behind TrueOS decided to make it a core
operating system for others to build on as well as being a server os.
https://www.trueos.org/blog/trueosdownstream/

Project Trident http://project-trident.org/ was spun off to become what
Trueos used to be. They should be releasing RC-3 soon.

> and it's based on TrueOS rather than directly on FreeBSD.
> I haven't tried the new version yet, but hope to in the next
> few days.  One thing I'll be wanting to find out is if it has
> any firewall support.  TrueOS did in the past, so this rebasing
> may make GhostBSD even better imo.

What do you mean by firewall support?
Just installed FreeBSD 11.2 and it has scripts for ipfw
in /etc/rc.d. Just needed to enable them in /etc/rc.conf, add some
rules to /etc/ipfw.rules, start the service and instant firewall.
Just looked and there are a few gui firewall managers in package repos
and probably a few more in the ports tree.

harv