> Yes, what's the real root question or issue here?

This is the core of this thread, Randy. Christopher should try and be a little
more explicit about what he has in mind.

I know he is well-aware of the Cray facility in Eagan, too.

Also, another interesting point is brought up by the inefficiencies when it
comes to the choices of platform and software, which, seems to me, go with a
company culture more than the technical component of the work. I know you,
Randy, are into agile methodologies for devops, etc, and you are a big advocate
of making changes when needed while keeping your eyes on the prize. In that
regard, I do not think, for all the time I have known you, that working with
one platform or another was ever a problem for you. But you are probably a
special case too.

A couple more slightly relevant points.

1. It is not a fad, but a necessity for companies and entities to be flexible
with their workforce, with this at all levels (platform, software tools, day to
day operations, hours and schedule, etc). Retaining good workers when workers
demand perks that are outside of generous salaries forces entities into change.
I know my colleagues at NASA that _used_to_live_ in the Bay Area are now
scattered along the Western US, and this because their government pay-scale
did not match the cost of living there, while the agency struggled to find good
workers.

2. I think that the Linux office-desktop is still elusive. Thank, in part,
Apple and the popularity of Macbooks, thank Microsoft for centralizing the
software (SaaS concepts), etc. I could be wrong, but I do not know of too
many Linux office workstation work-places unless they are in tech.