the puppies are now big enough to reach the keyboard, and thereby evoke
some interesting new revelations/curiosities.  they must have hit
capslock.  i typed xt but got XT, an alias for starting X and then with
WINDOW_MANAGER=twm in the environment starting gnome-session.  not so many
years ago when i made that alias it would start a new X session in a new
virtual terminal.  today it seems it causes the current X session to
disappear for awhile, and for my console to participate in multiple
realities.  there i was looking at the xenial/systemd messages leftover
from bootup, and a getty login invitation.  i tried all the VTs.  no X
session.  so i selected tty3 and logged in.  and (re)invoked tmux.  imagine
my surprise as i stare at the tmux window and see an alternate reality
version of what just transpired.  when i typed XT, X had immediately
disappeared as i just described.  now in front of me is the tmux window
where i'd typed XT, and the output i hadn't had a chance to see:

$ XT
trying :0
trying :1
[1] 22536
[1]+  Exit 1                  X -noreset -dpi 81 :$x 2>> /tmp/X$x.$$.err
[1] 22538
-bash: WINDOW_MANAGER=twm: command not found
[1]+  Exit 127                DISPLAY=:$x "$@"

ok whatever...but wait, what's next?  next i see my username, password, and
tmux invocation, as if entered as commands in this (tmux) window!  my
username, happens also to be an alias, and i see the output from invoking
it.  my password...command not found.  tb (the alias i used to invoke
tmux)...[detached (from session 0)]

!!WTF??

of course i was already up late and was just about to shutdown and go to
bed, but waait, can't shutdown now, this is too bizarre and curious!  so i
just leave it on, grab my phone, connect via ssh, re-invoke tmux, and
compose a bit in vim.  and drop off to sleep.  well in the morning, wake up
the screen, and voila, there's my old X session, i guess it was tired too,
just needed a good night's sleep...(or time to catchup with
new-version-of-firefox megabloat induced megathrashing)

but...what?  in the xterm where i'd originally invoked tmux, i see
[detached (from session 0)] (ok, no surprise there) followed by all the
keystrokes i'd entered while composing in vim, switching amongst tmux
windows, entering commands, et al, as if all also entered as commands at
the bash prompt, with mostly command not found responses, in this
(detached!) xterm!

!!WTF??

i still haven't shut down, and i've kept that xterm, nothing further is
appearing in it, or the voodoo tmux window either, and things are working
fine now...!  i guess voodoo only happens late at night...but the bizarre
evidence is still here...