On Thu, 9 Aug 2018, Iznogoud wrote:

>> Who should I be angry at?  AMD or the Linux kernel developers?  This
>> was such a horror story that I think I might never buy another AMD
>> chip.
>
> I completely understand your frustration, and I empathize. But there is
> not point in blaiming anyone, and it certainly will not help... With the
> philosopher's hat on I will say that it is all about how you deal with
> such issues. If I were you I would have suspected bad memory first. Then
> you run a memtest for several days.

Yep.  Found nothing.

> If that passes, you are left with software issues, which you can very
> easily both isolate and remedy, especially with Linux. Just downgrade to
> a different distribution or kernel. It is not hard to do, and with a
> good backup (either a terball or dd) you could get back to where you
> were once you have all the info.

(A) I think it is hard to do, and
(B) I don't think it would have worked.

Are you saying that changing the Linux distro or kernel version would have
fixed it?  I think the newer kernels were better (the ones that came out
in the past year).  I haven't heard that older kernels would have fixed
it.

> It is a free OS. It is the best OS. Can't blame the developers.
>
> AMD and Intel are all you have for hardware, and in my opinion hardware
> is dirt cheap.
>
> Either way, this is a first world problem, and one with a solution that
> you found yourself. A win.

But it took me a year.  If there is any way to avoid having that happen
again, I will avoid it!

I think you are right, though: it was a haphazard thing and avoiding AMD
won't help me.  But I think there is a way to avoid future problems:  I
should work with well-established hardware.  I chose to use a brand-new
AMD chip because the young guy in the computer shop told me it was the
cool new thing (it is pretty cool).  In retrospect, that was a mistake.
If I only use year-old processors (or older) and mobos, then there will be
data on the web and I won't be waiting a year to figure out what happened.

So I agree -- AMD, Intel and Linux are best, and I'm stuck with them.
I'm going to be avoiding the hot new thing, though.

Mike