> Who should I be angry at?  AMD or the Linux kernel developers?  This was
> such a horror story that I think I might never buy another AMD chip.

I completely understand your frustration, and I empathize. But there is not
point in blaiming anyone, and it certainly will not help... With the
philosopher's hat on I will say that it is all about how you deal with such
issues. If I were you I would have suspected bad memory first. Then you run
a memtest for several days. If that passes, you are left with software issues,
which you can very easily both isolate and remedy, especially with Linux. Just
downgrade to a different distribution or kernel. It is not hard to do, and with
a good backup (either a terball or dd) you could get back to where you were
once you have all the info.

It is a free OS. It is the best OS. Can't blame the developers.

AMD and Intel are all you have for hardware, and in my opinion hardware is
dirt cheap.

Either way, this is a first world problem, and one with a solution that you
found yourself. A win.