> Now I'm not sure where to put those
> service automountd start
> service automount start
>
> statements.  I tried adding them to rc.conf but that didn't work.

Where were they in the earlier version of the OS? Can you go back into an old
system and find out? Alternatively, can you look for where they are supposed
to be (in older versions of the distro) by making searches over file trees?

> Also I installed xorg and lumina and ran startx.   That sort of
> works, but doesn't give a bottom bar with a "start" button.  I can
> right click on the desktop and get a menu of a few things.  When
> I do that and start a terminal, I'm not able to resize it other than
> making it full screen.   TrueOS for a while was really helpful to
> me.  I hope they will get back after this transition they are going
> through, but for now am thinking about trying GhostBSD.

Sounds like they changed the "window manager" of the default install. It
sounds like "mwm" or "twm" is what it has by default. Can you see how one can
change the default window manager in TrueOS? In standard X11 fashion, and this
includes Xorg's X server build, the "xinit" does this, and so you will need
to modify your "~/.xinitrc" or the equivalent systemwide file, which should
be in something like: /etc/X11/xinit/ or similar.

In the case of mwm, try holding down control and right-clicking in the xterm
to get some options. Same with left-click.

I think you need to learn a bit about how the OS works, in general, and X11
as well. It will help moving forward to bootstartp out of these questions on
your own. Time well-spent.