Brian,

A quick Google search shows that the latest version of TrueOS uses OpenRC
-- it even has automount in the example screen shots they use to make the
announcement/explain how to use it.

Is there a reason you are not using the built in tools to manage start up
services, and are trying to reinvent the wheel? I may have missed you
explaining why the OS's provided tools are not being used, and if I did,
sorry.

Jeff