Your point was well understood, and what I said about /etc/inittab is the most
_standard_ way to do this in Linux (coming from legacy unix OSs). That is why
I suggested it.

You bring up a good point. Some of the documentation for things like this
should probably be offered to users at install time in the form of adding or
not adding some information elements in /etc/issue or similar places. I had
personally added info items to our supercomputing cluster, but those were
primarily for job submission and management commands. The idea is that the
info should be tailored to the user (admin or non) and purpose of the system
in hand.

There may well be some framework that does this outside of manual page pagers.