The thing is, if someone has physical access to your machine, they've
pretty much bypassed 99% of any security measures you have. This is not
new and not unknown; most people simply ignore that because who's going to
go into your house with a USB stick just to boot your computer?

That said, there are many ways to block this. You can have a boot password
right in the BIOS. Then nobody can boot your machine. You can also block
booting from CD or USB in the BIOS and put a password on the BIOS setup.

Course, that means someone can just steal your harddrive and plug that
into another computer. This is where full-disk ecryption comes in.

If that's too much for you, most Linux distros will let you encrypt your
homedir.