Greetings

I bought web hosting and registered 2 domains with a company. The domains
need to be renewed annually but the hosting is on a three year rotation.
The renewal is going to be about 2.7 x the original hosting contract.

Is this normal?
What do you of those that have a personal or small business website do - -
- move before renewal - - - or ?????

I have managed to setup a webserver here at home. I tried to use one of my
domains - - - that doesn't work because dns resolves to my host and not
here. Any suggestions on what and/or how to setup things to experiment here
before I go live with something?
(I want to try things like horde's webmail groupware (Have it installed
locally already) and other tools in the running of the business.)

TIA

Dee