I normally do my domain registrations and web hosting with separate
companies (typically Name.com and Linode, respectively), so their
billing is totally unrelated.  The hosting has always been just
month-to-month, not annual or longer.  I'm guessing your original
purchase was with some sort of "new customer discount", hence the
increase now - check the fine print I guess.

For testing stuff at home, you can always just edit /etc/hosts on your
testing box, as that will take precedence over external DNS records.