> > #ifdef __USE_BSD
> > # include <sys/stat.h>
> > #endif
> >

> I'd like something better than that.  Will FreeBSD decide
> that what Linux does, in this case, is helpful and do the
> same?  I hope that's how this plays out.

Maybe you should try it and, as a courtesy, tell us if this has worked for you.
If it has not, you need something else. If it has, thank us and be a bit more
specific about the way in which you want the solution to be better. If you look
in the GNU C library's .h files you will see constructs exactly like what I
gave you (quoted above).

Your second sentence is ambiguous. You need to be more specific.