Tools/Account Settings is how it is on windows builds, and edit/account
setting is how it is on Linux builds.  It's always been this way.
Nothing has changed.  You can use Thunderbird to post to usenet.  I use
it & post almost daily (on windows & linux - depending where I happen to
be sitting at that moment).

Have you tried to post to usenet yet in Tbird?  When you do for the
first time it will ask for your cred's.  Otherwise goto Pref's ->
security -> password -> saved password.  You can delete (to be
reprompted to enter) or modify them there.