On 7/5/17 10:46 AM, Mike Miller wrote:

> Does this sound like bad hardware?  Or could it be some kind of driver issue?

When your Ubuntu install is up and running, disable the Screensaver
and/or the auto-lock the desktop feature.

Wait and see if this fixes your locking up/non-responsive issue.

Later on, if you like, re-activate the Screensaver and auto-lock.
Disable it again if it proves to be problematic.

> I'm also wondering what is the easiest way to get the old memtest86+.
> Didn't it used to be in the Ubuntu ISO?  I thought it was there.  I
> would have run it already if it was easily accessible.

When booting, hold down the shift key and that should display the grub
menu. Is memtest of any version listed there?

If not, try the Ultimate Boot CD
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

More references and discussion:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/917961/have-memtest86-in-the-installation-disk-menu-along-with-try-ubuntu