Mike Miller writes:

> I recently bought one of these, just before the $100 discount started:
>
> https://www.costco.com/Dell-Inspiron-Desktop---Intel-Core-
i7---2GB-NVIDIA-Graphics.product.100344519.html

Sweet.

> I think they'll give me the $100.  But, anyway, the reason I'm writing
> to the list is that I've had some peculiar problems and I'm wondering
> if I have a bad computer or one that has some kind of incompatibility
> with Ubuntu.
>
> Installation of Ubuntu 17.04 was a breeze.  I kept the Windows 10 in a
> 100 GB partition.  I started copying files from a USB 3.0 external
> drive, but sometime after the screen blanked I tried to enter my
> password at the login window and the system just hung -- it never
> accepted the password, the screen froze, it seemed to take no input
> from the keyboard and while the mouse cursor moved on the screen,
> clicking had no effect.

I had something similar happen yesterday on my 2 year old
laptop.  I had recently installed openSuse on it.

> Often when I press the power button, it comes on for about a second
> and then turns off.  I saw that happen once after powering off -- it
> turned on for a second, then off again.  That seems odd.

> I had to start in recovery mode.  That seemed to fix it, but the next
> time I used it, it got stuck again and I had to use the power button
> to shut it off.

Recovery mode didn't work for me.   I reinstalled openSuse and this
is what I get from uname -a:

Linux 4.11.8-1-default #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Jun 29 14:37:33 UTC 2017
(42bd7a0) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I don't know if you use suspend/hibernate, but I had been doing
some of that prior to this happening.  My guess is that using
those had something to do with it.  On the previous install I picked the
KDE desktop.  For this latest install I chose Gnone.  I noticed Gnome
doesn't mention (at least that I've seen) anything about suspend and
hibernate like KDE did.

Brian
Ebenezer Enterprises - Adios amigo, Ricky Rubio.
http://webEbenezer.net