I forgot to mention that I had done that stuff -- turning off the
autolock.  But there were many other oddities and it was clear to me
that there was something wrong with the machine, so I returned it.

I decided to just buy parts and have Nanosystems put them together for
me.  All parts are coming from Amazon Prime and almost all of them
have free same-day delivery, which is nuts.  But the case probably
won't get here until Monday.

I happened across this web page and I liked what he was doing:

https://www.pcper.com/news/Processors/AMD-Ryzen-7-1700X-Selling-333

I'm not into gaming, so I cut back on the graphics card, ordering this
one instead:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049MPQA4/

You might think that is disgraceful.  ;-)  But I doubled the SSD size
to 500GB and ordered a mounting bracket (even though I might not need
one)...

SSD:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OBRE5UE/
mounting bracket:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016498CK0/

...and I also doubled the RAM, sticking with the fast 3000 RAM:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0171GQHZC/

So I pay about 30% more, but I get a much more powerful system
designed for my needs.

Best,

Mike