On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 7:50 PM, r hayman <rhayman at pureice.com> wrote:

> [...]
>

> On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 6:39 PM, r hayman <rhayman at pureice.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 2017-08-21 at 17:55 -0500, o1bigtenor wrote:
>
> Greetings
>
> I am trying to effect a server installation comprising of
>
> Apache2
> Postgresql
> php7.0
>
> On an initial attempt to do this a mountain of problems were uncovered.
> It would seem that there is a preferred order in which to do things.
> I.e. to achieve the expected result with a minimum of pain.
> Some of the 'guides' download everything all at once and then work at
> setting things up and configuring things. There seem to be some different
> possibilities for order i.e.
>
> 1. database
> 2. php
> 3. apache
>
> or
> 1. apache
> 2. database
> 3. connect the two
> 4. php
>
> Is there anyone who has an install 'recipe' that works for installing
>
> 1. Postgresql
> 2. web server (haven't used any so am open just want good reasons as to
> why the recommendation)
> 3. php (because that is what one has to use to get web sites to work aiui!)
>
> TIA
>
> Dee

> Hi Dee - Have you looked at https://supermarket.chef.io/, there's also a
> tutorial at http://gettingstartedwithchef.com/ that sets up a website
> using Chef recipes and a cookbook:
>

> Greetings
>
> The tutorial is quite detailed. My concern would be that I was having lots
> of issues getting apache2 and php7.0 working. This adds another layer of
> complexity.
> Chef doesn't seem to use postgresql as primary database, websites seem to
> have to have wordpress (I've seen a few too many security bulletins about
> that one) and then they like the cloud (something I'm not going to touch).
>
> Thanks for the idea though - - - had never heard of 'chef'.
>
> Dee

> Hi Dee -
>
> Chef is a tool to configure what you need in an idempotent manner. The
> tutorial was an example of setting up a website with all of its software
> installs and dependencies.
>
> If you are doing a one-off setup, look at the tutorial as a means to set
> up your own dependencies manually.
>
> If you may need to repeat this setup one or more times in the future and
> get the same exact results (using different URLs or not), then you probably
> should look into using a tool like Opscode's Chef (or Dockerfiles and
> Docker, or Vagrantfiles and Vagrant, or Puppet, or ansible, ... - there are
> many ways to skin this cat and this problem has been solved for many use
> cases already, don't reinvent the wheel here is all that I'm saying)
>
> Looked at Docker, have been using virtualbox, now also looking into
lxc/lxd.
There just are so many way to do this and few paths that don't create that
wonderful vertical learning curve so endemic to linux.

> Just trying to help...

I appreciate it - - - just not sure that this tool (chef and its group) is
what I need for my long term.
(There are so many things to do and I would rather be working on doing
things that beating my head against the wall trying to figure out the
arcanities in too many software setup scenarios - - - sorry.)

Thank you for your ideas!!!!

Dee