On Mon, 2017-08-21 at 21:47 -0500, o1bigtenor wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 7:50 PM, r hayman <rhayman at pureice.com>
> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2017-08-21 at 19:32 -0500, o1bigtenor wrote:

> > > Greetings
> > >
> > > The tutorial is quite detailed. My concern would be that I was
> > > having lots of issues getting apache2 and php7.0 working. This
> > > adds another layer of complexity.
> > > Chef doesn't seem to use postgresql as primary database, websites
> > > seem to have to have wordpress (I've seen a few too many security
> > > bulletins about that one) and then they like the cloud (something
> > > I'm not going to touch).
> > >
> > > Thanks for the idea though - - - had never heard of 'chef'.
> > >
> > > Dee
> > Hi Dee -
> >
> > Chef is a tool to configure what you need in an idempotent manner.
> > The tutorial was an example of setting up a website with all of its
> > software installs and dependencies.
> >
> > If you are doing a one-off setup, look at the tutorial as a means
> > to set up your own dependencies manually.
> >
> > If you may need to repeat this setup one or more times in the
> > future and get the same exact results (using different URLs or
> > not), then you probably should look into using a tool like
> > Opscode's Chef (or Dockerfiles and Docker, or Vagrantfiles and
> > Vagrant, or Puppet, or ansible, ... - there are many ways to skin
> > this cat and this problem has been solved for many use cases
> > already, don't reinvent the wheel here is all that I'm saying)
> >

> Looked at Docker, have been using virtualbox, now also looking into
> lxc/lxd.
> There just are so many way to do this and few paths that don't create
> that wonderful vertical learning curve so endemic to linux.
>
> > Just trying to help...
> >
> I appreciate it - - - just not sure that this tool (chef and its
> group) is what I need for my long term.
> (There are so many things to do and I would rather be working on
> doing things that beating my head against the wall trying to figure
> out the arcanities in too many software setup scenarios - - -
> sorry.)
>
> Thank you for your ideas!!!!
>
> Dee
For the most part, Docker and Chef are mutually exclusive - the use
cases for each are divided around your infrastructure: if using
containers, Docker (a wrapper around lxc) is the way to go. If using
VMs then Chef, Puppet, or Ansible can be used. If you want an agent-
less way to build and idempotently configure VMs, then you can
eliminate Chef as your option, if you want to use an endpoint agent
installed on your target VMs then Chef is a great choice for idempotent
configurations. Your specific use cases for what you are trying to
accomplish will steer you towards a tool to make your job easier than
manually doing everything from an ssh session to the target server.
Everything as code is a reality today - hardware is thought of and
built using software.
The leading edge of agile architecture is based on microservices
deployed as containers into a cloud. This movement started about 10
years ago; and about 15 years ago loosely coupled meant Enterprise
Service Bus architectures; prior to that monolithic architectures were
all we knew how to do. Without knowing your use cases I can only give a
broad brush stroke of solutions.
Perhaps an out of the box solution to your use case may already exist
 in https://servicebot.io/ ?
You didn't elaborate what your end goal was other than setting up a
business web server, or did I miss what you specified? Apologies if I
did miss that.
Still trying to help ;-)