On Mon, 2017-08-21 at 19:32 -0500, o1bigtenor wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 6:39 PM, r hayman <rhayman at pureice.com>
> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2017-08-21 at 17:55 -0500, o1bigtenor wrote:
> > > Greetings
> > >
> > > I am trying to effect a server installation comprising of
> > >
> > > Apache2
> > > Postgresql
> > > php7.0
> > >
> > > On an initial attempt to do this a mountain of problems were
> > > uncovered.
> > > It would seem that there is a preferred order in which to do
> > > things.
> > > I.e. to achieve the expected result with a minimum of pain.
> > > Some of the 'guides' download everything all at once and then
> > > work at setting things up and configuring things. There seem to
> > > be some different possibilities for order i.e.
> > >
> > > 1. database
> > > 2. php
> > > 3. apache
> > >
> > > or
> > > 1. apache
> > > 2. database
> > > 3. connect the two
> > > 4. php
> > >
> > > Is there anyone who has an install 'recipe' that works for
> > > installing
> > >
> > > 1. Postgresql
> > > 2. web server (haven't used any so am open just want good reasons
> > > as to why the recommendation)
> > > 3. php (because that is what one has to use to get web sites to
> > > work aiui!)
> > >
> > > TIA
> > >
> > > Dee
> > Hi Dee - Have you looked at https://supermarket.chef.io/, there's
> > also a tutorial at http://gettingstartedwithchef.com/ that sets up
> > a website using Chef recipes and a cookbook:
> >
> Greetings
>
> The tutorial is quite detailed. My concern would be that I was having
> lots of issues getting apache2 and php7.0 working. This adds another
> layer of complexity.
> Chef doesn't seem to use postgresql as primary database, websites
> seem to have to have wordpress (I've seen a few too many security
> bulletins about that one) and then they like the cloud (something I'm
> not going to touch).
>
> Thanks for the idea though - - - had never heard of 'chef'.
>
> Dee
Hi Dee -
Chef is a tool to configure what you need in an idempotent manner. The
tutorial was an example of setting up a website with all of its
software installs and dependencies.
If you are doing a one-off setup, look at the tutorial as a means to
set up your own dependencies manually.
If you may need to repeat this setup one or more times in the future
and get the same exact results (using different URLs or not), then you
probably should look into using a tool like Opscode's Chef (or
Dockerfiles and Docker, or Vagrantfiles and Vagrant, or Puppet, or
ansible, ... - there are many ways to skin this cat and this problem
has been solved for many use cases already, don't reinvent the wheel
here is all that I'm saying)
Just trying to help...