On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 6:39 PM, r hayman <rhayman at pureice.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2017-08-21 at 17:55 -0500, o1bigtenor wrote:
>
> Greetings
>
> I am trying to effect a server installation comprising of
>
> Apache2
> Postgresql
> php7.0
>
> On an initial attempt to do this a mountain of problems were uncovered.
> It would seem that there is a preferred order in which to do things.
> I.e. to achieve the expected result with a minimum of pain.
> Some of the 'guides' download everything all at once and then work at
> setting things up and configuring things. There seem to be some different
> possibilities for order i.e.
>
> 1. database
> 2. php
> 3. apache
>
> or
> 1. apache
> 2. database
> 3. connect the two
> 4. php
>
> Is there anyone who has an install 'recipe' that works for installing
>
> 1. Postgresql
> 2. web server (haven't used any so am open just want good reasons as to
> why the recommendation)
> 3. php (because that is what one has to use to get web sites to work aiui!)
>
> TIA
>
> Dee

> Hi Dee - Have you looked at https://supermarket.chef.io/, there's also a
> tutorial at http://gettingstartedwithchef.com/ that sets up a website
> using Chef recipes and a cookbook:

Greetings

The tutorial is quite detailed. My concern would be that I was having lots
of issues getting apache2 and php7.0 working. This adds another layer of
complexity.
Chef doesn't seem to use postgresql as primary database, websites seem to
have to have wordpress (I've seen a few too many security bulletins about
that one) and then they like the cloud (something I'm not going to touch).

Thanks for the idea though - - - had never heard of 'chef'.

Dee