Thanks, I'll try Cinnamon some day and grab the pdfs, too.

I did try XFCE, IceWM, and liked Gnome Classic, and saw it installed
Gnome Xorg desktop (but I didn't try it). This was all on a Intel
D915GUX mobo / pentium4 hyper-threading CPU / 3GB memory / Intel GMA900
desktop graphics, so it was a rock bottom 10 year old hardware platform
and still no hint of a crash. But it did bog down. Another fun find was
Gnome Commander, banned for a decade and replaced by Nautilus. So this
system is full of options, top to bottom, not just the "live installs."

I would think such a locked repository could be useful for a school,
with competent instructors (sys-admins) and decent hardware. A lifetime
worth of learning and participation.