Do as Bob said, which is what I was trying to describe, but putting that
"filter file" (that is what those used to be called) in the right place
for CUPS. That should be easy. If you cannot do it, report back and I will
give it a shot myself and give you instructions.

By a "bonked" system I am assuming a system that had issues due to .so files
being tweaked after a Wine installation, not a runtime issue. Correct? The
runtime issue may be avoided by jailing the process, like Randy said. (I use
LXC, not Docker.)

I do NOT recommend software packages like Wine being installed with apt-get
style package and dependence maintainers/installers. Take this with a grain
of salt from possibly the only Slackware user here, but I install this sort
of packages as "environment modules" and build them from source. Nothing on
the system gets contaminated, and one can have a number of versions of the
packages available for any user on demand. Wine, specifically, comes out with
a new version every five minutes...

Here is an example of modules on my desktop:

iznogoud at bigpapa:~> module avail

---------------------------- /opt/Modules/versions -----------------------------
3.2.9

HDF5        OpenMPI     Wine        gcc6.3.0    modules
JavaJDK     OpenOffice  Wine-1.8.3  module-cvs  null
Metis       PETSc       dot         module-info use.own
iznogoud at bigpapa:~>

The "gcc6.3.0" I had built when I was describing to Mr Wood on this list how
to put a hacked-up version of GCC 6.3 with certain components of GCC 7.x.

In the examples above I have a number of Wine, OpenOffice, JavaJDK available,
but I only have some of them visible.

Use modules; thank me later.