On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 10:58 PM, Iznogoud <iznogoud at nobelware.com> wrote:

> Do as Bob said, which is what I was trying to describe, but putting that
> "filter file" (that is what those used to be called) in the right place
> for CUPS. That should be easy. If you cannot do it, report back and I will
> give it a shot myself and give you instructions.

Thank you for that very generous offer.

> By a "bonked" system I am assuming a system that had issues due to .so
> files
> being tweaked after a Wine installation, not a runtime issue. Correct? The
> runtime issue may be avoided by jailing the process, like Randy said. (I
> use
> LXC, not Docker.)
>
> By 'borked' I meant that I had an unusable system. I cannot remember
exactly as
that was over 3 years ago just that the system was halted and I couldn't
get into
it - - - nothing. So it was a reinstall. That was what lead to my starting
to use
VMs - - - that level of aggravation and frustration just was too much to
risk a
repeat. From that I also developed  the habit of having all the VMs stored
in a
certain fashion, which, on this last system upgrade, Vbox will no longer
let me
do - - - rather it has been deciding where to put stuff. So I've started
looking into
LXC and LXD - - - still a total noob though!

> I do NOT recommend software packages like Wine being installed with apt-get
> style package and dependence maintainers/installers. Take this with a grain
> of salt from possibly the only Slackware user here, but I install this sort
> of packages as "environment modules" and build them from source. Nothing on
> the system gets contaminated, and one can have a number of versions of the
> packages available for any user on demand. Wine, specifically, comes out
> with
> a new version every five minutes...

That was what I did - - - I was using apt-get to install and there were an
absolute
mountain of dependencies that I had to add/fiddle with and somewhere in all
the
mess I managed to bork things thoroughly - - - vms for sure now!

> Here is an example of modules on my desktop:
>
> iznogoud at bigpapa:~> module avail
>
> ---------------------------- /opt/Modules/versions
> -----------------------------
> 3.2.9
>
> ------------------------ /opt/Modules/3.2.9/modulefiles
> ------------------------
> HDF5        OpenMPI     Wine        gcc6.3.0    modules
> JavaJDK     OpenOffice  Wine-1.8.3  module-cvs  null
> Metis       PETSc       dot         module-info use.own
> iznogoud at bigpapa:~>
>
> The "gcc6.3.0" I had built when I was describing to Mr Wood on this list
> how
> to put a hacked-up version of GCC 6.3 with certain components of GCC 7.x.
>
> In the examples above I have a number of Wine, OpenOffice, JavaJDK
> available,
> but I only have some of them visible.
>
> Use modules; thank me later.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm - - - I'm on Debian - - - haven't run into
the 'module' thing yet - - - there are so many things I'm 'supposed' to
know - - -
and there just aren't enough hours in the day to use the tools the way I
need to,
for my business and my self, and to figure out how to install and combine
the
tools.

Thank you for your assistance and ideas!

Dee