Thanks, Iznogoud. Again, I'm sure you're right, but I have plenty of
good C and C++ books and use them often to translate to Pascal.

For Brian I almost put up links to an AVR microcontroller assembler
written in Pascal, that I then expanded the names to more descriptive
names. But I don't think anybody would be interested anyway. If you want
to play with strings and arrays and records, Pascal does it right. One
reason the DOD language Ada is derived from Pascal. I doubt anybody can
follow all those pointers, pointers to pointers, and the memory
(programmer and computer) management of C and C++. So C++ adopts pascal
rules.

A Text File and String and Record are the basic computer storage data.
Functions and Procedures the basic programming method. A Begin and an
End define a block of processing. Constants, Types, and Variables are
also basic programming tools. If you copy and paste that XForms html to
a syntax highlighted editor (with tabs set to 4 spaces) you will see the
logic layout in color. Most of the confusing stuff is converting old
style Pascal strings to/from a pointer to a character array (of unknown
length) required by the XForms C library. You never know how long a
string is in C until you open the box (so to speak).

Again, young people might be crazy to learn Pascal, or crazy not to. But
it is still a very important option for serious projects, and I'm
grateful to the freepascal team.