Guys,

It is possible to push full line rate 1 Gbps or 10 Gbps traffic
throughput through either a 1 Gbps or a 10 Gbps port.

An example of hardware capable of generating this type of traffic is a
pair of Fluke OptiView® XG.

http://www.flukenetworks.com/enterprise-network/network-monitoring/optiview-xg-network-analysis-tablet

The fastest solutions for transporting traffic that I have heard of for
a single port is 100 Gbps though it contains multiple fibers.

Please reference Cisco.com link below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7Q7hCAVv3k

I am sure there is something much faster in development somewhere.

As far as general performance ratings, for Cisco anyways, please
reference the following tables:

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/switchperformance.pdf

I hope this is a helpful addition to this discussion.

Thanks,

Matt