On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 7:33 AM, Andrew Berg
<aberg010 at my.hennepintech.edu> wrote:

> See the zpool-features man page. It varies by feature. Some will completely
> prevent import in this case, while others may simply only make the pool
> read-only. Also, some features are not mandatory at upgrade time and will not
> be enabled automatically. If a feature is disabled, support for it is not
> required for import.

This is a bit misleading, as the feature would need to have been
disabled from the start.

Lets say i create a feature of supercompressor which compresses
everything with my super secret proprietary algorithm(so secret that
even decrypting is a closely held secret), disabling this feature only
affect NEW blocks and old blocks will remain compressed with this
proprietary compressor rendering the pool unimportable by a ZFS
implementation that does not understand the supercompressor feature
flag.