On 11/03/2014 09:36 PM, tclug at freakzilla.com wrote:
> A. First off, you shouldn't need a GUI on a webserver anyway. If you need any X
> applications, just forward X from your desktop (ssh -X webserver).

Could you sound like any more of a hardcore Linux guy?  :)

The computer is in my garage.  I like the monitor to work to pull up the occasional
service manual PDF, etc :)

It also happens to run a webserver that gets close to 0 traffic :)

> B. Upgrading to Ubuntu 14.04 was a pain for me, too. It went smoothly on exactly zero of
> my machines, to the point where I just reinstalled a few from scratch and just
> reinstalled everything and copied the configurations over. My own webserver went that way.
My main system was a bit better... but it still did a bunch of random stuff I didn't care
for.  Seems like every distro has this curve where they set off better than the existing
ones at the time... maintain it for a while, then just ruin it over time :(

> C. I believe most these cards are PCI-X 16: http://pics.freakzilla.com/videocards.jpg
>
> If you want to comeup to Shoreview and get one, let me know.

Thanks for the offer!  Shoreview is a bit of a haul for me - I'll see if the other is
closer to me first.  At least 4 of them look like PCI-X to me.  The fanless one is maybe
AGP?  They all look like overkill for my needs :)

Thanks,

Dan